I’ve been fancying some scones for a few weeks now so when we where at the supermarket the other day we picked up some clotted cream & strawberry jam.
This afternoon I baked the scones. This is the second time I’ve made them with the Mary Berry recipe and both times I found I needed much more flour than it says (otherwise you end up with a soggy gooey mixture that you cannot knead nevermind roll out!).
Here is the recipe
- Sieve 250g self raising flour & 2 teaspoons of baking powder into a bowl
- Add 60g butter – in small cubes
- Mix with your hands into breadcrumb type mixture
- Add 30g sugar
- Put one egg into a jug & add milk upto 1/4 pint (beat lightly)
- Add liquid to mix & stir into dough
- I added a good handful of Sultanas here (not in original recipe)
- Knead dough (you will probably need to add more flour at this point until mixture is more dough like)
- Roll out to 1cm-1/2″ thickness
- Cut into scone size circles & put on a buttered baking tray – use excess milk to brush tops of scones
- Cook at 220°c for approx 10 mins or until risen & golden brown
Cool on wire rack
Serve with cream & jam or just butter and a nice cup of tea. Enjoy